Thursday, 13 October 2011

World Cup - Day 17 - vs Netherlands and USA

We were prepared for a long day today. First of all we had to play a 7 inning game against Team USA at 12:00pm and then finish off our game against the Netherlands at 3:30pm and then get on the bus and travel 4 hours back to Panama City to play our game tomorrow against Panama.

The game against the USA was another old fashioned pitching duel and it was only appropriate we handed the ball to Clayton Tanner to take on his home country. I consider Clayton an Aussie, but you can't go past the fact that he has spent all but 6 months of his life in America. He was also excited for the challenge to face them. Clayton and the USA pitcher traded zeroes for 5 innings before the USA pitcher was pulled from the game in the 6th for a relief pitcher. Clayton then went out for the 6th and the lead off hitter got on base by an error and then he eventually scored to give the USA a 1-0 lead, and then 2 batters later another run scored to put them ahead 2-0. We scored a run in the top of the 7th and then had a runner on 1st with 1 out, but the pitcher caught a line drive hit straight back at him, then doubled off the runner to end of the game. It was quite disappointing to lose this game as both runs the USA scored were both unearned.

After that game we had a little over an hour to get ready for the final 3 innings against the Netherlands. When the game continued the dutch wasted no time in getting ahead as they scored a run in the bottom of the 7th to take the lead 2-1 and that was all they needed as our offense couldn't figure out the dutch relief pitchers. These two losses now put us in a very difficult position to give us a chance at medal. With a win against Panama, and a few losses to the teams above us, we still have a shot at the bronze medal game.

Once that game finished we all showered up and got on the bus ready for the bus ride to Panama. We played 2 movies on the bus but I really didn't pay too much attention to them. I listened to music and try and nap a bit. Surprisingly I sleep quite well on buses, just wish I could sleep as easily on planes.

We arrived at the hotel around 9:00pm. Everyone is quite happy to be back at the Sheraton, mainly because of the fast internet, and we're right in the middle of the city. When we were checking in the front desk told us that two rooms will have 3 people in them and being a rookie, I just knew I would be one of the guys in a room with 3 people, and sure enough I'm roomed with Justin Erasmus and Kable Hogben. Kind of feels like the good old Australian Academy days with 3 to a room.

No comments:

Post a Comment