Sunday 2 October 2011

World Cup - Day 6 - vs Cuba

So today was the day of our first game against baseball powerhouses Cuba. We got on the bus at 11:00am to head to the field and the field was only 5 minutes away so that was a good change from the last couple of days when we've had to travel up to an hour to get to our practices. We got to the field and took batting practice and once it was all down we got back into the air conditioned clubhouse to get out of the heat.

We lost the game 14-0 but the scoreboard doesn't really reflect on how we played. If we make a few better pitches in certain situations and if a few hard hit balls land in the gaps instead of outfielders gloves it would have been a much different ball game. I got the chance to pitch in this game as well. I came in the game in the 6th with loaded bases and got out if it without allowing a run thanks to a great play at 3rd by Stefan Welch. I then came out for the 7th and wasn't quite as lucky. A ball was hit to 3rd that hopped up off Welch's glove into left field for a hit, then the next hitter hit a ball just out of his reach, then gave up a bloop base hit down right field line. Long story short, I ended up giving up 4 runs in the inning. I did hit a batter though and I don't think he was too happy about it. When I looked at him walking up the line to 1st he was giving me a death stare, so I politely smiled at him.

After the game we loaded the bus and headed back to the hotel and got into our rooms, only for the internet to be out. Clayton and me didn't know what to do with ourselves. He walked around the hotel with his laptop trying to find some internet.  When he came back from his walk he said he went to the front desk and they said it will be about an hour before the internet comes back. Now a lot of people think I'm the only one on the team who spends time on the internet, but I can guarantee most guys were as concerned and worried as I was when our web pages weren't opening up.

We play Italy tomorrow and we'll have Chris Oxspring starting on the mound, so we'll be looking to bounce back and get a win next to our names.

Pitching against Cuba

1 comment:

  1. Hello, just a tip: there is free internet in the streets, take a cab to a local park and be free to get internet access.

    ReplyDelete