Monday 4 April 2011

Spring Training Done

With one day to go, I thought it be appropriate to write about Spring Training this year since I will be up to a lot more then sitting in my hotel room once I get my two days off. Coming into camp this year, I felt I had to make a  really good first impression since I signed as a free agent for no money.

I thought I made that good first impression in the first two days, as I passed both fitness tests. That being the 1 mile run which I did in 5 minutes 54 seconds, and also the 300yd shuttle run which I completed in 58 seconds. Hopefully that showed the Twins that I came into camp in good shape and was ready to work.

After a few days of working out on the field, going through the regular fundamentals and drills, it was finally time for me to pitch. I showed the Twins that my fitness level was up to scratch, now I had to show them I could pitch. I pitched against Boston, striking out the first hitter I faced, then got the next two guys to ground out. So after waiting since August 2009 to pitch in a professional uniform, I finally got my first inning under my belt with my new team.

After a 5 day rest, I had my second outing, against Freshwater College. I came on in the 8th inning, and got the first hitter to ground out, then struck out the next two hitters I faced. My velocity got up to 89mph, which was okay, but still not what I was hoping in my first outing where they used the radar gun.

I pitched again on 2 days rest, this time making my first trip to the Boston complex, which is also in Fort Myers. Playing on the Boston team was Boss Moanaroa, one of my good friends who I played with at the Sydney Blue Sox while we were back home. Boss hit a solo home run to left field in the 2nd inning to give the Red Sox a early lead. I came on to pitch the 6th and 7th inning, striking out 3 hitters, and getting 2 fly outs and 1 ground out. I was happier with this outing since my velocity got up to 91mph and I had good control of my changeup.

Three days later I had my next outing, this time I was making my first start, which I felt was a good sign, since my goal this season was to break into the starting rotation on one of the teams, whether it be the GCL or with the Elizabethton Twins. The start went well, as I struck out 5, and walked 1 in 2 innings of work, without giving up a hit. The hitter I walked was Boss, so I kind of let him go easy, that's what I told him at least. Another thing I was pleased about is that I got my velocity up to 92mph.

With one more day to go in Spring Training, I have thrown in 4 outings, a total of 6 innings, given up 0 hits, 0 runs, 1 walk and struck out 11. I have one more outing to go which is tomorrow against the Fort Myers Miracle, our Advanced A team, hopefully I can finish Spring Training on a high note.

No comments:

Post a Comment