Monday, 11 July 2011

Our Day Off

Today we were able to enjoy our first day off while in Elizabethton. So a few of the other players and me decided to rent a boat at the lake and relax out in the sun all day. It was definitely one of the most memorable off days that I have had this year, since most off days whilst in Florida were spent in the hotel or at the mall.

There were 9 of us that headed out onto the lake. That being Nick Lockwood, Rory Rhodes, Roy Larson, Max Kepler, Corey Kimes, Garrett Jewell, Sam Spangler, Derek Christensen and of course myself. Before we went to the the marina we got some supplies, such as water, snacks and other beverages for the older guys to enjoy. We really didn't know where to go once we got onto the lake, all we tried to do was find a nice cove where we could just let the anchor go and float around in the water all day. It was hard to find such a place, since the water was so deep, the anchor never hit the floor. So we kept going from location to location trying to find a place to set the boat down, and jump into the water. After eventually finding a place, we swam out to the shore and beached ourselves for a while, that was until a few of the boys decided to act like 5 years olds and start throwing mud at each other. We then set off for a new spot, but instead decided to put the boat into neutral and let it float. While one guy sat on board, the rest of us jumped into the water. This is eventually what happened after about 5 minutes of everyone floating around with the boat unanchored.
Look closely. There are 5 heads floating in the water.

That plan turned out to be an epic fail. As it took Roy Larson about 15 minutes to swim back to the boat. We couldn't drive out to him because there were other boys still in the water near the boat. So it was up to Roy to muster all his strength and will power to make the long swim back. As he was approaching I thought he needed some motivation, so just like a feel good sports movie, I played the Chariots of Fire theme song aloud, and just like a feel good sports movie, Roy fist pumped in rejoice as he got back on the boat.

After a few long hours in the sun, we thought it was time to go back to the marina, that is if we knew how to get back. It took us about an hour to find our way back to the marina, with the help of the compass on my iphone, and google maps on Roy's phone. This was the scene as we were going back, everyone seemed to be very tired.

After we returned the boat, I drove back with Nick, Rory and Max to their house and relaxed there all afternoon. The plan was for everyone to go to the restaurant Beef O'Bradys for dinner and watch the MLB Home Run Derby. Instead of all of us going, it ended up as Sam Spangler and me going since the other boys were fast asleep at the house. Sam and me ate dinner and watched the entire Home Run Derby at the restaurant, which may I add was one of the best I have watched in a while. We ended up being the last ones to leave Beef O'Bradys. 

After a very exciting day on the lake, filled with fun, lots of laughs and a prank that didn't go exactly to plan, and the relaxing night at dinner while enjoying the Home Run Derby, this was definitely one of the best off days I have had. Now it's time to go back to work tomorrow as I'm starting against the Pulaski Mariners. Wish me luck everyone!


  1. OMG it could have been a nasty day out.
    So glad you all returned safely.

  2. Good luck Todd!

  3. Good Luck!